Evansville is Indiana's third-largest city. It is a friendly place in Southwest Indiana, along the Ohio River. Evansville is the metropolitan hub where southwest Indiana meets southeast Illinois and northwest Kentucky.
Evansville welcomes all visitors. Our hotels, restaurants, and attractions offer affordable prices and courteous service. We want you to enjoy our cultural heritage and the many local attractions we invest in for the future.
Evansville was established on 200 acres of land that Hugh McGary, Jr. purchased from the government in 1812. The town was named for General Robert M. Evans. Evans was an attorney and territorial legislator who helped McGary incorporate Evansville as a city. The town's incorporation was completed on January 27, 1847. Since that time, Evansville has served as the economic and social center for the region (southwest Indiana, southeast Illinois, and northwest Kentucky).
- Evansville metropolitan area: 300,000
- Vanderburgh County (in which Evansville is located): 165,058
- City of Evansville: 117,500+
Source: 2010 U.S. Census
Unlike the majority of Indiana, Evansville is in the Central Time Zone. Evansville observes Central Standard Time from mid-November to mid-March. The area observes Central Daylight Savings Time the rest of the year. This means we "fall back" an hour each fall and "spring forward" an hour each spring.
Evansville has a moderate climate and four distinct seasons. Average temperatures range from 32 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Rainfall averages 42 inches annually. Yearly snowfall averages 13 inches.
Currency Exchange Services
- Fifth Third Bank – All Evansville banking centers
- Old National Bank – Only at 420 Main Street, downtown Evansville
Allow 7 to 10 days turnaround time for currency exchange at all locations.
Right turn on red – Indiana law permits right turns at a red light after a complete stop, unless a sign is posted prohibiting right turn on red.
Left turn on red – Left turn on red is only permitted when turning from a one-way street onto a one-way street.
Speed limits – Speed limits are generally 30 miles per hour (mph) on city streets and 55 mph on expressways.
Evansville Regional Airport offers competitive-priced connectivity to hundreds of domestic and international destinations with frequent daily flights to five top-rated, major hub cities - Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, Charlotte and Chicago, as well as non-stop, low-cost flights to Orlando. Served by Allegiant, American Airlines, Delta and United, Evansville Regional Airport is an easy and welcoming gateway to and from southwest Indiana, western Kentucky and eastern Illinois.
Evansville Regional Airport
7801 Bussing Drive
City Ground Transportation
- River City Yellow Cab Co., (812) 429-0000
- Auto Haus Limousine Service, 4115 E. Morgan Avenue</td>
- Mighty Cab, 2301 W. Michigan Street
- Comaier Limousine Service
- The Limousine Company
- Audubon Trails Coach Lines, 1807 Moll Lane, (812) 867-2098 | (800) 255-5234
- Auto Haus Limousine Service, 4115 E. Morgan Avenue, 812-476-5700
- New Image Travel, LLC, 2336 Glenview Drive, 812-426-1423 | (800) 432-6213
- Komfort Coaches, (800) 900-8687
Alcoholic beverages may be purchased Monday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 3 a.m. Purchasers must be 21 years of age.
On Sunday, only those establishments selling food may sell alcoholic beverages. Liquor may be served from 12:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- University of Southern Indiana, 8600 University Boulevard, (812) 464-8600, (800) 467-1965
- IU School of Medicine Evansville, 8600 University Boulevard, (812) 464-1831
- University of Evansville, 1800 Lincoln Avenue, (812) 479-2000, (800) 423-8633
- Oakland City University – Evansville Center, 110 South Green River Road, (812) 479-6808, (800) 559-9212
- Ivy Tech State College, 3501 First Avenue, (812) 426-2865, (888) 489-5463
- Harrison College, 4601 Theatre Dr., (812) 476-6000
- Signature School, 610 Main Street, (812) 421-1820
- Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corporation, 1 S.E. Ninth St., (812) 435-8453
- Evansville Catholic Schools, (812) 424-5536
- Evansville Day School, 3400 N. Green River Rd., (812) 476-3039
For locations and service times for churches of all denominations, contact:
Evansville Area Community of Churches (812) 425-3524
- Office of Mayor Lloyd Winnecke, 302 Civic Center Complex, 1 N.W. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., (812) 436-4962
- City/County Government, (Civic Center Complex) (812) 435-5000
- Art Council of Southwestern Indiana
- Chamber of Commerce of Southwest Indiana
- City of Evansville
- Economic Development Coalition of Southwest Indiana
- Greater Evansville Aquatic Team
- Greater Evansville Runners/Walkers Club
- Growth Alliance for Greater Evansville (GAGE)
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources
- Keep Evansville Beautiful
- Southwestern Indiana Master Gardener Association
- Southwestern Indiana Regional Development Commission
- The Chamber of Commerce of Southwest Indiana, (812) 425-8147
Parks and Recreation
- Evansville Department of Parks and Recreation, (812) 435-6141
- ABC – WEHT Channel 25 (800) 879-8542
- CBS – WEVV Channel 44 (812) 464-4444
- FOX – WEVV Channel 45 (812) 464-4444
- NBC – WFIE Channel 14 (812) 426-1414
- PAX – WTSN Channel 63 (812) 464-4463
- PBS – WNIN Channel 9 (812) 423-2973
- WNIN 88.3 FM – National Public Radio (812) 423-2973
- WPSR 90.7 FM – Mixed Programming (812) 435-8241
- WUEV 91.5 FM – University of Evansville (812) 488-2022
- WABX 107.5 FM – Classic Rock (812) 424-8284
- WDKS 106.1 FM – Top 40 (812) 425-4226
- WGBF 103.1 FM – Rock (812) 425-4226
- WIKY 104.1 FM – Adult Top 40 (812) 451-2104
- WJLT 105.3 FM – Oldies (812) 421-1117
- WKDQ 99.5 FM – Country (877) 437-5995
- WLFW 93.5 FM – Country (812) 424-8284
- WSTO 96.1 FM – Adult Top 40 (812) 491-9468
- WSWI 820 AM – Alternative/Modern Rock (812) 461-5406
- Evansville Courier & Press, morning and Sunday paper, 300 E. Walnut Street, (800) 288-3200; switchboard (812) 424-7711
- Evansville Living, a bi-monthly city magazine showcasing the people, businesses and community of Evansville. 100 NW Second Street, Suite 203. (812) 426-2115
- Indiana Tourism Association
- Destination Marketing Association International
- Henderson County, Kentucky Tourist Commission
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau Directory
- Indiana Tourism
- Southern Indiana Regional Marketing Co-Op
- Southwest Indiana Development Council
- Visit Indiana: Indiana's Official Travel Planning Source
- Warrick County Tourism
In case of an emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately.
- Deaconess Hospital, 600 Mary St., Evansville, (812) 450-3405
- St. Vincent, 3700 Washington Ave., Evansville, (812) 485-4000
- Tri-State Family Dental Center (Emergency), (812) 425-4206
- Vanderburgh County Medical Society, 3116 E. Morgan Ave., Suite F, Evansville, (812) 475-9001
- Indiana State Medical Association, 322 Canal Walk, Indianapolis, IN, (800) 257-4762
- Indiana Poison Control, Methodist Hospital of Indiana, I-65 and 21st St., P.O. Box 1367, Indianapolis, IN 46206, (800) 222-1222
- American Medical Response, 807 E. Franklin St., Evansville, (812) 428-2211
- ASAP Ambulance, 1027 E. Virginia St., Evansville, (812) 423-3200
- Evansville Police Department, 15 N.W. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Evansville, (812) 426-5564 (Information)
- Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Department, 5607 U.S. Hwy 41, Evansville, (812) 435-5307
- Indiana State Police, 100 N. Senate Ave., Indiana Government Center North, 3rd Floor, Indianapolis, IN, (317) 232-8200